Katie Doyle talks about how her Live Brief evolved from a work placement at fashion brand Karen Millen

A placement at Karen Millenā€™s Head Office Photography Department provided me with a great deal of insight and understanding. Working with the head photographer and stylist I was able to observe their working practice and the procedures. As the week developed I gained a more hands on approach; being given the opportunity to take product and model photographs which are now featured on their website.

I learnt a great deal from talking to other members of the team, exploring videography, styling and model testing. The Retoucher and Production Manager spoke to me about what their role entailed and how they had come to get where they are, this was most beneficial as it allowed me to question the route that I wanted to take and the style of my work.

At the end of the week following discussions about the ā€˜Live Briefā€™ I was undertaking at university, the head photographer set me an assignment. The brief was a representation of the variety of aspects that the department covered. Using the skills I had learnt I undertook a number of photo-shoots prior to a review in late December.

twoPLACEMENTTWO